“She needs to have an identity for herself. She is a mother, a daughter, a…Read More →
Ready for a nice long satisfying weekend TV binge? Lucky for us, streaming giants these days are loaded with so much content that it is quite impossible to keep track. With the entertainment industry finding its way to the world of internet, a universe with endless opportunities and possibilities, female characters have also evolved in the span of the last few years. And what a graph it has been!
The entertainment industry has finally shifted its focus from the same old massy good-guy-versus-bad-buy plot lines to narrating meaningful and inspirational stories with strong-willed female leads. Needless to say, every single one of them is owning the limelight they have finally been presented with and it is all things refreshing.
So, if you are looking for content that will give you all the feels and inspiration you need for yet another week of ruling the world, here are some web series featuring brilliant female leads. So that you have something to relate with.
- The Marvellous Mrs Maisel: Ladies, there is a reason why this series is the first one on the list. In this carefully designed world of entertainment, where creators have conditioned you into believing that strength is synonymous to muscle power and killer action sequences, our Mrs Maisel successfully breaks multiple glass ceiling without even lifting a single stone.
The upbeat addition to Amazon’s streaming service revolves around a Jewish American housewife, played by Hollywood actress Rachel Brosnahan, who discovers her flair for stand-up comedy and starts moonlighting as a stand-up comic.
From a refreshing plot, to a remarkable cast and an excellent script, this stand-up sitcom qualifies as a perfect weekend binge!
In addition to the gripping narration of a female comedian’s journey in a world that refuses to accept that women can do stand-ups, the show highlights various other issues that female audience can relate to on a cellular level.
In case you are still not convinced, you might want to consider this – the series, which premiered on Amazon in 2017, has already bagged 16 Emmy awards, including 8 this year.
- Leila: Featuring Huma Qureshi as Shalini, the lead character, this Netflix original drama is your answer to “I want to watch something that blows my mind away”.
‘Leila’ is the dystopian drama that has been hogging headlines with its intense, gritty, powerful, and bold political narrative. The plot, set in the year 2050, is a glimpse into a possible future of India. It’s a story about the life and struggles of Shalini, a woman who tries to find her missing daughter in a totalitarian regime.
You know the makers have done a wonderful job of pulling you into the world of ‘Leila’ when you find yourself anxious, scared and trapped in it.
Directed by Deepa Mehta, the series is a digital adaptation of Prayaag Akbar’s novel of the same name.
- Lucifer: Netflix’s ‘Lucifer’ is a series about The Devil himself. The plotline, that follows the fallen angel as he decides to walk and live among humans after quitting his job as the king of hell, is beyond imagination. While there’s no doubt that Lucifer Morningstar, played by Tom Ellis, is an ultimate charmer, it’s the brilliant women in his life who make this series an absolute catch!
Every single woman in the show, from the devil’s detective “partner” Chloe Decker, to his demon assistant Mazikeen Smith, is a treat to watch. This list especially includes Lucifer’s psychotherapist, Dr Linda Martin, because let’s face it, it is one thing to treat humans but treating the devil himself requires divine strength.
It’s not your regular angels and demon drama, the series is everything that you wouldn’t expect it to be.
- Dead To Me: If you are a fan of dark comedy, let this be your binge for the weekend. ‘Dead to Me’ is an American comedy series which premiered in 2019 on Netflix.
The series stars Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini, two women who bond during their therapy sessions as they try to recover from loss on grief. This peculiar setting of the plot should be enough to tell you that the series handles some really sensitive issue with a twist of humour.
For women who are currently dealing with middle-age issues, this series focuses on exactly what you are going through at this moment.
In addition to being a treat for people who like watching engaging comedy content, this series is also your typical murder mystery. Extra brownie points for that!
- Made in Heaven: Unless you have been living under a rock, this name will definitely ring a bell in your head. If not, it is time to come out and turn on your Amazon prime account ASAP!
Directed by Zoya Akhtar, the series, which premiered earlier this year, is already a hoot among its audience. The nine-episode series revolves around Tara (played by actress Sobhita Dhulipala) and Karan’s (played by actor Arjun Mathur) wedding planning agency called Made In Heaven. And before your brain starts looking for connections, please know that this series is nothing like ‘Band Baaja Baaraat’. Not even close.
While the story takes place in a world known to be loaded with glamour and glitters that surrounds the typical big-fat-Indian-weddings, that’s not the soul of the script. With every episode, the web series explores some very serious social themes, including the LGBT themes, class-divide, self-worth, existing stereotypes, and working women.
Just because ‘Made in Heaven’ is last on this list, does not make it any less special. It’s a web series you don’t want to miss.
So, go on, take a break from your endless struggles and live vicariously through the lives and experiences of these too-strong-to-ignore female characters. Happy binging to you!
© Feministaa 2024 Media Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved